My oh my does Portland have quite the fabulous pride-filled week ahead of it, and lucky us, it’s one of our favorite weekends! Really. It’s like a holiday… so, HAPPY PRIDE!!
- 6.14: Tonight is a very special night for the Q Center and the Gay & Lesbian Archives of the Pacific Northwest (GLAPN): Queer Heroes Northwest celebrates the opening of their exhibition at the Q Center. The Queer Heroes NW project is a local movement to honor LGBTQ pioneers and leaders that were nominated by the greater LGBTQ community online during Pride month. The reception will be held in the Aaron Hall Gallery from 5:30-8PM. After the Q Center, the exhibition will be hitting the road so catch it while you can!
- 6.14: Join the sweaty and fierce fun at the 1 year Anniversary and Pride Kick Off at Queerlandia! There’s a $5 cover, but who cares- that’s inside is priceless; plus, $1 of all admissions is donated to Bradley Angle’s LGBTQ Survivors of Domestic Violence Program. There will be performances by DJ Hold My Hand, Chelsea Starr, Dazzle Punch and many more accompanied by scandalous vendors and a fabulous photobooth. You’d be crazy to pass a photobooth up! Dance the night away at Embers from 9PM-2AM. Sounds like a party you won’t want to miss.
- 6.15: Pride Week just keeps the parties coming! On Friday at the Leftbank Annex, the annual dance party fundraiser, Gaylabration, will be kicking off at 9:30PM. This year, there’s THREE DJ’s bumping beats for your dancing pleasure: DJ Skiddle, DJ Chris Cox and DJ Vize. Tickets are $25 Pre-sale and $35 at the door, but if you feel like a VIP, it’s $100. A portion of the night’s proceeds support Basic Rights Oregon and their fight for LGBT Equality. What’s better than dancing the night away AND building good karma?
- 6.16: Here’s something for everyone to enjoy. The Portland Gay Men’s Chorus will be performing their Summer of Love: Music of the Beatles show at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall this Saturday from 7:30-10PM. These men are sure to remind you that “All You Need Is Love” during their evening serenade. Since this is an Official PrideNW event, It’s the one and only night PGMC is performing their lovely number, so you might want to grab a ticket while you still can!
- 6.16-6.17: Pride Northwest is back and we couldn’t be happier to have them. There are a number of events taking place this weekend during the Portland Pride Festival & Parade at Tom McCall Waterfront Park. Take a look at their schedule to get the full scoop! Just make sure that you don’t miss the Portland Gay Pride Parade starting at 11:30AM on Sunday!
- 6.20: Following Pride Weekend, Basic Rights Oregon is throwing Rice, Beans and Collard Greens, an all ages dance party for Queer and Trans Peope of Color, and their friends and families. The rager will be held at Holocene from 8:30-11PM and there is a $5 cover, but no one will be turned away for lack of funds. There will be a bar for those 21+. All are welcome so show your support and dance your heart out.
Links we loved:
- Red Dress: ReDEMPTION announced that they raised more than $15,000 from this year’s event. Not only was the Red Dress Party a blast, but it brought the organization’s total charitable contributions to $252,000!
- In honor of Gay Pride Month, SOHITEK Gallery is hosting a queer group art show, F**king Gay, addressing the stereotypes, assumptions and ambiguity surrounding the LGBTQ community. Go take a peek at their post-Pride Parade party this Thursday or at some point this month- it’s a definite must see.
- We all knew pop-star Ke$ha was a proud supporter of the LGBTQ community, but who she was a minister. She performed a commitment ceremony for her close friends in Malibu, Calif last weekend. Nothing beats a celeb with a passion for equality and love for all.